Visiting the Musée des ondes Emile Berliner benefits students in cycle two of primary schools and cycle one and two of high school, CÉGEP and University classes. A visit to the Musée des ondes Emile Berliner informs you and your students about following subjects:
- What is sound?
- Can we make soundwaves visible?
- How do we record music?
- Are there different ways to create sound recordings?
- Who invented sound recording and playing recorded sound?
- What is a gramophone and how does it work?
- Do we need electricity to amplify sound?
- How far can soundwaves travel?
- How does a radio work?
- What was the role of Montreal in sound technology?
- Which role did Montreal play in globalizing communication technology?
- Who created the first Canadian satellites and what did the satellites accomplish?
How to plan a school trip to the Musée des ondes Emile Berliner
- Send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your preferred date, time, class level and number of students. We will confirm with you the date and time. Please give the museum two weeks’ notice before your visit.
- The objects of the museum are fragile and for demonstration purposes accessible. Students need to be supervised by teachers and chaperons at all times. For elementary classes, please calculate one chaperon for 8 students, for high school classes one chaperon for 12 students. We request no entrance fee for chaperons and teachers.
- For classes of 15 students and more, the museum offers a guided tour with demonstrations of historic audio and video technology free of charge.
- The guided tour takes around 60 minutes. A visit to the museum allows your students to explore our permanent and temporary exhibitions. You can calculate 30 minutes for this activity.
- An educational program of approximately 60 minutes with interactive experiments is available for a fee of $ 7 per student.
- Schools are eligible for financial support for their visit through “La culture à l’école.” You find the Musée des ondes Emile Berliner on the list of cultural-scientific organizations: https://www.economie.gouv.qc.ca/bibliotheques/repertoires/liste-des-organismes-de-culture-scientifique/
- Download our pedagogical brochure in PDF format. The brochure helps you to prepare your students for the visit and gives creative ideas for after visit activities.
Thank you to the Trottier Family Foundation for funding the creation of the MOEB educational program.